November 14, 2018
It goes without saying that it’s hard to feel confident when you don’t like your smile. Not to mention that feeling embarrassed about your teeth can hold you back from your personal and professional goals! And although very few people are born with a “perfect” smile, cosmetic dentistry has made it possible for anyone to achieve a smile they can feel good about. One of the most popular procedures is teeth whitening in Framingham because it’s an easy way to get big results with a minimal investment of time and money. So, once you’ve decided to take the plunge, what are 3 considerations you should think about beforehand? Keep reading to find out!
1. How Quickly Do You Want Your Results?
Do you have a fast-approaching event like a wedding or high school reunion that you want to look your best for? Or do you have time to get your results more gradually?
Your answers will determine the whitening method you choose, so it’s a good idea to start there. Both of these options will whiten your teeth between 6-8 shades:
- Professional take-home trays – This option allows you to control the whitening process. You’ll get gradual results by wearing custom-made trays filled with professional-strength whitening gel each day for 30-60 minutes (for a total of about 2 weeks).
- ZOOM! – This in-office option is the fastest and delivers dramatic results in about an hour. After a whitening gel is applied to your teeth, a special light will be applied to accelerate the process. You’ll be monitored throughout the procedure to make sure you don’t have sensitivity.
2. How Long Will Your Results Last?
Everyone needs occasional touch-ups after a whitening treatment. Although how often will vary depending on lifestyle, most people touch-up about once a year. Fortunately, it’s easy to do and only requires picking up a refill of inexpensive whitening gel from a dentist (you’ll be able to keep your trays for many years).
Here are some tips for making your results last:
- Minimize your consumption of staining foods and beverages like coffee, tea, red wine, berries, tomato sauce and turmeric. Also, swish with water several times after consuming these foods to rinse away residual pigments in your mouth.
- Do well with brushing and flossing.
- Use a whitening toothpaste to remove surface stains.
3. Are You a Good Candidate For Whitening?
The best way to determine if you’re a good candidate for whitening is to schedule a consultation with a cosmetic dentist. Having said that, chances are good that you’ll benefit from whitening if your discoloration is the result of age, dietary habits, smoking or genetics.
However, if you have severe staining from fluorosis or tetracycline use in childhood, or if you have gum disease, cavities or other oral health issues, a dentist may recommend a different treatment to give you the best results.
But rest assured that there are effective cosmetic options for every patient. After a consultation, you’ll have a better idea of how you can get your best smile – and start enjoying the self-confidence that comes with it!
About the Author
Dr. Marianna Gaitsgory is a general and cosmetic dentist in Framingham who loves seeing how a simple whitening treatment enhances her patients’ lives. She’s found that whitening is one of her most popular cosmetic procedures because it’s fast, easy and effective. If you have any questions, she can be reached via her website or at (508) 875-0900.
Comments Off on 3 Considerations To Think About Before Teeth Whitening in Framingham
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.