Questions worth asking during your orthodontic consultation
Are you thinking about orthodontic treatment to straighten teeth or correct jaw alignment? Consider making your first step an orthodontic consultation. During the consultation we will address your questions, concerns, and talk about a treatment plan that would best suit your situation.
We want you to feel prepared and in charge of your orthodontic treatment decisions, so keep these questions in mind when you come in for your appointment.
- What determines how long I have to wear braces? (The length of treatment will vary from patient to patient. During your consultation we can evaluate your teeth and jaw alignment to determine the correct course and length of treatment.)
- How will braces affect my lifestyle? Foods I can eat? Activities I can do? (You may find that little needs to change in your daily routine to have a successful orthodontic outcome. We can discuss and address any changes so you can be prepared before you get your braces.)
- Who will be involved in the orthodontic work? Whom can I expect to see during my adjustment visits?
- What will my orthodontic work cost? What is the ”average” cost, and what could be the maximum? (Make sure you are clear about what your insurance covers, who contacts the insurance company for pre-authorization, who files the insurance forms, and what flexibility there is to pay the remaining amount not covered.)
- If I do need some adjustments to my teeth, what options will I have besides braces? (This will help you determine what approaches we use to straightening teeth.)
- What kind of preparation is needed to get braces? How many visits will it take? (It’s important to know how many appointments may be needed and what you will need to do between appointments to be ready for braces.)